Thursday, June 9, 2011

An intensely blah day

Yesterday was a very frustrating day. I found out on my way to the bus stop--I swung by ye olde local coffee shoppe to break a twenty in case the bus driver wouldn't accept my student card anymore--that the authentication stuff I was going to Denver to do couldn't be done there. No, it has to be done in D.C. So three weeks minimum before I'll get it back. I'm worried if I don't get my paperwork in quickly enough, I'll lose the job. It might not be that serious. But then, it might. I don't know. But I spent a ton of money trying to get it done as quickly as possible, so we'll see.

It's really glum outside today, so after yesterday's anxiety, I'm just in a weird mood. In Colorado, it tends to only really rain in May and June; most of our precipitation comes in the form of snow during the winter. So it's hard to get annoyed when it does rain, as we usually need it. But it still gives everything a weird level of light. Makes me generally apathetic about whatever I'm working on. Like the Dude. I don't know what it is with this guy, but I just don't care. Even on the easy bits, I almost have to argue with myself to keep going. Given that I want to get him done by the time I leave, it shouldn't be this hard. Maybe I need a break from knitting? It wouldn't hurt my thesis any. Anyways, this is as far as I've gotten on him since I started:
I should probably take this mood and get some work done on my thesis, instead of fighting with myself about knitting. I'm working my way through the first chunk of The Madwoman in the Attic, by Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar--one of those texts that if you're doing feminist literary analysis, you're going to read. Given that everything I'm analyzing in my thesis is written by men, the sections about women writers are less-than-useful, but there's a fair amount on recreations of binaries (angel and monster) that may be useful. One day, I'll actually sit down and start writing the review itself, instead of just clogging my brain with loads of books and articles and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment